When I was around the age of 10 I noticed my legs didn’t look like all of my friends. I remember exactly where I was; Lebo, Ks. I was sitting in the gym in the stands with my friends watching our older brothers play basketball. We were all wearing shorts and I noticed how fat my legs were compared to my friends. To this day this is something that I am very aware of.
Usually, males have smaller leaner legs, small knee joints and small ankles. Not all the time but often. Not me, I have a tendency to gain weight in my legs, and my ankles end up being the size of my knees. Everyone has things that bother them about their body, this is one of mine. My dad and my brother both have big legs as well, it’s how we are built, it’s in our genetics. Matter of fact I remember my grandma telling me when I was little how we had stove-pipe legs. However, genetics does not mean you are destined for this particular thing. It means you may have to work harder than the next person. And a lot of time the things we are bad at or that we struggle with we can turn into a positive if we focus on them with positive energy versus poor me energy.
Over the years I have figured out the best ways to keep my lower legs leaner. If you struggle from this as well, which I know a lot of people do and its something people don’t want to talk about, here are some tips to improve your lower legs that I have found work for me.
- Get plenty of sleep and avoid processed carbs. Poor Sleep and processed carbs tend to contribute to water retention in the lower extremities.
- Avoid alcohol in excess, alcohol tends to makes us retain water from the extra calories and the strain it puts on our systems from having to process it.
- Lose weight.
- Avoid being on your feet all day.
- Wear compression leggings or socks to improve blood flow.
- Train your calves and be active every day, again blood flow.
- Drink plenty of water and poop everyday, get rid of waste and keep things filtered.
All of these things are also part of the bigger picture of general health. At the end of the day try to take better care of your body and your body will reward you for it. You will feel better and have more confidence and energy.
Make it a great day!